Sunday, January 3, 2016

About Me

Hi, and welcome to my daylily hybridizing blog. My name is Andrew Reilly, currently living in zone 6b, Boston, Massachusetts. I joined the American Hemerocallis Society in the Winter of 2008 at just 9 years old after discovering daylilies the previous summer. I began hybridizing in the Summer of 2009 and I've been locked in ever since! My first year yielded little success, but my lack of a seed crop was supplemented by extra seeds from Mike Huben, a hybridizer well known for his hardy, northern-reblooming diploids. In the Summer of 2010, I got my first successful crop of seeds and have been pursuing my own lines with these seedlings and various registered cultivars that I own. I mainly do diploids, but I'm pursuing teeth and dark reds with tetraploids. I scoff at those who claim that their breeding programs are small as they "plant only a few thousand seedlings a year." I'm lucky if I plant 100 seedlings. Because of the lack of land available to be (aka, not claimed by my parents for garden space), my program has moved slowly. Nevertheless, my collection of cultivars is growing, and I'm excited for the directions that it will take me in the future. If you have an questions or comments, please feel free to email me at deepsea@icloud.com. I hope all of you have an excellent growing season in 2016.

1 comment:

  1. WOW! Awesome blog and great first introduction. I especially loved how you showed us the real peach skin by the blooms. LOVE THAT. Good luck!! - Nikki Schmith :)

    ReplyDelete