Wednesday, August 12, 2015

AR10AR.95

4", EM, 33", DeepYellowSelf with small GreenThroat, Dormant, Diploid, 4 branches, 20 buds
(Sugar Candy x Helicopter)
I am in LOVE with this seedling! You can't really see in the picture, but there is a light orange overlay in the color that really contributes to the deep, unique, yellow. I know many people have things against yellow daylilies because they're "common," but I think that this mindset is wrong. There are so many different shades of yellow that really stand out and serve an important place in the garden. Take a look at the backs of the sepals, interesting:
I would register this, too, like its sibling (which will be registered next year), but a major fault is that the scapes lean. However the very nice branching and unique color make it a nice bridge plant. Its form is also reminiscent of an unusual form, so I think that crossing it into UFo forms would work smoothly. This year, I crossed it with the newly acquired and amazing 'Lemon Ice Tea,' by Margo Reed. Something else that intrigues me about this seedling is that by the end of the day, the ends of the petals and sepals bleach out to a lighter yellow:
Not sure how I feel about it, but I don't think that this look in unattractive in entirety. I definitely want to remake the cross because I only saw 5 bloom and 4 were stunning! (I threw away one, which I regret, but the three I kept are amazing!)

No comments:

Post a Comment