Tuesday, February 10, 2015

AR10AR.51


29'', 3'', Magenta w/ yellow to green throat, dormant, diploid, fragrant, 4 way branching 19 buds
(Sugar Candy * Vanilla Gorilla)

This really is a standout over all the others of this cross. It has around twenty buds and the scapes are nice and strong. Already has a clump! Like many darker colored flowers, it does slick mildly, so I'm trying to cross it with more sunfast cultivars. My goal in this cross was to create a clear colored pink unusual form. I didn't get this with any of the seedlings of this cross but this one, which had the best plant habit, was back-crossed with Vanilla Gorilla in order to achieve this. Since I was so impressed with the branching, I crossed this with 'Peak Experience' an amazingly tall and well-branched plant (I highly recommend it!) from Margo Reed. This flower has another form which I think to be old-fashioned and unattractive:
Also, not so seen on the pictures that I have provided, sometimes AR10AR.51 has a white edge. I think that this is attractive and I plan to cross it with a white-edged unusual form (again, drawing from the hope that the unusual form gene is dormant) like 'Santa's Pants'.

No comments:

Post a Comment