Wednesday, January 28, 2015

AR10AR.114 and it's sib AR10AR.119

Unfortunately, I have no data on AR10AR.114, pictured above, but to be fair they would not reflect the true nature of this plant even if I did. Quickly running out of space, I made the terrible mistake of planting some crosses on the side of my house. This particular side only gets a few hours of morning light, has relatively terrible soil after years of neglect, and it is narrow, leaving me to place the seedlings closer together than I would have liked. It's a plus that .114 bloomed in these horrid conditions, and I'll put that into consideration when I continue to evaluate this (in a much better bed!) during 2015. What stood out to me about the flower was 1) the lavender watermark and 2) the gloriously green throat (this photo may enhance it a tad due to the yellow light of the sun). I have no idea where this came from, as neither parent appears to have such a design. It looks very contemporary, in my opinion. It's sib,
AR10AR.119, is also interesting
The eye is a nice touch. I am fully aware that the color is fairly muddy. To help this problem, I crossed it with some clean near-whites, which I hope will help. This one fades terribly. The purple facade vanishes leaving a tan color on the outer parts of the petals. Again, it was the pattern that caught my eye.

During the end of summer when most of the daylilies were gone (I desperately need more lates in my garden, would love any suggestions!),  I used a family tree software program called Reunion 10, and, through the Huben line, traced these seedlings back very far. It's a fun project and if you have any spare time, I would recommend trying it out on a seedling or a registered plant that you have in your garden.

*UPDATE 5/13/15* both of these plants have spring sickness in varying degrees, .119 has spring sickness all over the plant and .114 in about two-thirds. I don't know if this means that they're prone to it or not because many plants, that have otherwise been fine in past years, are now displaying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment