Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Welcome

Hi, I'm Andrew Reilly a student currently attending one of Boston's most prestigious schools: Boston Latin School (BLS). I am a daylily breeder who was introduced to daylilies by an article published by The Boston Globe in 2008 (?). This article was about a man named Mike Huben who has since become my daylily mentor and coincidentally teaches at BLS in the upper grades.
I quickly became hooked on daylilies and was very intrigued about all of the shapes, colors, height variations, and traits that one daylily can have, while another has a whole different set. This led me to start to breed myself, using seed from Mike as the starting blocks of my program, as well as trying to use his advice and guidance when making my own crosses in the coming years.
I am still trying to come up with the basic goals of my program, but so far I know that I want: clear color, height (which so far is an undeveloped goal, though I am trying), UFO (Unusual Forms), sun fastness, and uniqueness (more of a quality I like to look for).
If you are in the New England area and interested in daylilies, I strongly suggest becoming a member of the New England Daylily Society (NEDS), as well as joining the American Hemerocallis Society (AHS) as well. The AHS send out seasonal 'journals' and NEDS has meetings nearly every month of the year.
I hope you enjoy my blog, and if you have any questions, please leave them in the comments of the post in question or shoot me an email: deepsea@me.com. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment