Sunday, March 17, 2013

AR09MH.25


19.5, Early, 3.25, Off-White self, Dormant, Diploid, Rebloom
(Kanai Sensei * Snowy Stella)

This was the first seedling of mine to bloom two years running and the first seedling of mine to ever bloom. It started blooming June 18th and ended September 18th in 20ll and was around the same amount of time in 2012. I shouldn't be shocked that it reblooms, as it is from seed by Mike Huben, but I was nevertheless impressed. It only has an average of 5 buds per scape, but in a small clump (which it formed impressively in one year) it plays out rather nice. Faint white midribs look nice in the dewy summer mornings. This one had two siblings which were the first of my seedlings to be discarded to the compost bin. Both did not withstand the summer heat (melting), and while they looked marvelous in the morning (one with a stunning green throat) they looked AWFUL at night, some blooms practically fell off of the scape. This one is a gem. I wish AR09MH.25 was taller and maybe had a bit bigger of a flower, but it is graceful, and it reblooms. I've used in heavily in my breeding (mostly trying to get it in a different color) and should be seeing some nice seedlings of it in 2014, as my 2011 crop of seeds won't be planted outside until this year, and I am very excited to see the results. This one is definitely a future. I am planning to give a piece to Mike Huben later this year. A seedling of AR09MH.25 and AR09MH.57:
AR11AR.45

2 comments:

  1. I think you gave me AR09MH13 instead, which I used this year in breeding for dark-scaped rebloomers.

    I'd like to get a fan of this one still: it has very nice form!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! My bad I'll change that right away. Yes AR09MH.13 sounds about right, I remember digging it up for you. I'll definitely get a piece to you this fall. Most likely it will be in October, as it blooms for 3 months!

    ReplyDelete