Monday, March 18, 2013

AR09MH.13

34.25, Early, 5, White Green polychrome, Dormant, Diploid, Reblooms
(Ace Up My Sleeve * Army of Darkness)

This cross was obviously made by Mike for dark scapes. I ended up seeing six seedlings from this one, and I have decided that I am keeping at least 5 of them for futures or bridge plants. This one might be a future. Don't let this photo deceive you. It isn't generally this green. It's more of a morning thing, as it fades out to a white-peach(?) during the day. However, I have observed rebloom in it (one of two seedling I've seen so far to do so) and was thrilled when I saw it. AR09MH.13 has 18 buds on 4 branches, This cross is all in one row, and it seems to tower over the short seedlings in front of it such as AR09MH.25 and AR09MH.16. I have noticed this particular seedling to have bendy scapes, but this is a rare occurrence. This plant also has dark scapes. It has developed a nice clump, much like its siblings, but not as much as AR09MH.53. This could be a future, but I am unimpressed by the flower, though I like the green in it ALOT. I have a clump down in Cape Cod as well and it seems to be doing fine in the sandy soil. However, it is shorter down there, as one would expect. Gave a piece of it to Mike Huben in 2011 and he says (its in a comment on AR09MH.25) that he is using it in his dark scape breeding. AR09MH.13 has good plant qualities and will definitely be crossed with daylilies of a lesser status in that respect.
This year (2015), Mike Huben registered the pollen parent as 'Army of Darkness.' Although I have never seen it in person, it has proven to be an exceptional parent! In 2014 the clump down the Cape has increased even more. Very fast vigor. I like the quality of the foliage and how it seems to bloom for most of the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment